Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!

Well I thought I would take a break from all of the serious political and moral discussions to pay a quick tribute to my dad. He was born 69 years ago today. Gosh, where to start? Most of you who read this probably never got a chance to meet him so to give you some kind of a picture of who he was, take Bobby Knight, the dad from the Wonder Years, and mix in a little Arnold Palmer and that might help give you an idea of what kind of guy he was. There are also pieces of him in me and my brothers. Darren has his leadership and take charge attitude. Kyle has his smarts and athletic prowess. I have his love of laughter and family. He was a great guy and I miss him a lot. It is kind of poetic that today is Masters Sunday because one of the great passions of his life was golf. I think about him every time I play and I am eternally grateful that he passed that passion on to Kyle and me. On the afternoon that he died he looked at a mug that he had and it had a picture of one of the holes at Pebble Beach and he said, "I'm gonna buy a motor home and play that golf course someday." I hope to be able to play there when I turn 30 to fulfill something he always wanted to do, to play Pebble Beach. I know he will be looking down on me reminding me to keep my head down and elbow in. He will probably also have a belly laugh or two every time I hit a Titliest's in the Pacific Ocean, which I'm sure will be many. One last funny story I remembered a little while ago. My dad and I were at a father son banquet at church. We were seated at the same table as a young Eddie Pohlreich and his very young son Justin. Justin was kind of acting up and Pastor Ed leaned over to my Dad and asked him for any fatherly wisdom. My Dad rolled up his sleeve and extended his arm out on to the table said with a stern but calm voice, "A firm hand", followed by a smile. To those of you who knew him can totally hear him saying that. We love you Dad and miss you very much. Happy 69th birthday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve and Alie said...

Wow, Ryan, I'm sitting at my desk at work reading your blog and crying. What a beautiful tribute to your dad. He sounds like a guy I would have really liked to meet. Thank you for honoring him the way you did. I think it made him proud and we will all be cheering you on on your 30th birthday when you play Pebble Beach. Maybe it'll be the best game of golf you've ever played... Something tells me it might be. You're a good son. Happy Birthday, Larry.

April 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Uncle Jim said...

Ryan,

Your blog about your Dad was great and I'd have to think about what part of you boys takes after your Dad. For sure golfing is one you and Kyle do well just as he did. He was an all around athlete, as he played FB,BB and BB, but played High School golf. I can tell how we used to compete in all of them in our High School on Sundays with his friends and mine. We usually won. (Smile) Some day maybe we can just sit down and talk about him, I have lots of good blanks to fill in for all you boys. I loved your Dad dearly and his passing away has left a big void in my life today. I think of him all the time and have several pictures of us together on my desk at home. Some day I'll be able to play a round of golf with him in paradise and I look forward to that. He missed a lot by not being here, such as your wonderful wives, his grandchildren and I think of that often as I wait to see my first one. You boys have turned out great and for that he would be very proud of all of you, just as I am. I love each of you as if you were my own and wish I lived closer, so I could drop by for coffee. So let's play a round when the sun comes out, it's something I truly enjoy as he would. Your dad broke the record for longevity by reaching 59 for the Dofelmiers. I have since broken that when I turned 66. A record I wish I didn't hold. You boys have a family history of heart disease and must take care of yourselves. I thank God for every breath that I take and I thank God for my family. You boys bless the name of Jesus and your Dad who sees you from above. Love the three of you..Uncle Jim

April 16, 2008 at 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ryan, I still get choked up, seems like Yesterday... When you called me and asked what Dad said to me when he looked at the Pebble Beach cup, that whole day flashed before my eyes and it was wierd.. When I got off the phone I told the 2 people I share an office with that my brother called and asked me what my dad's last words to me were.. I said it in a way that there wouldn't be that awkwardness.. They started asking questions like "How old was he?" and "How did he die?" So I told them a little about that day and that dad had a history of heart problems.. As I was telling them that I was home because I was living there during MC's.. and that turned into my previous life when I drank and yada yada yada.. The lady I share an office with almost started crying, one of her sons is in jail and the other won't speak to her ages 21 and 27.. When I told her that God spoke to me and I dropped everything, alcohol, my lifestyle, my job, my friends, sold everything I owned, moved in with my parents and gave a year to lay a new foundation.. I told her I knew that happened because of the prayers of my parents.. It encouraged her beyond belief.. I found out she was friends with Claudette Paxton and used to attend our church(small world) When I told her that when I moved home and started getting my life together with the Lord's help, my dad made a point to let me know that he was proud of me.. our relationship had healed, and all the things I did to disappoint my dad were forgiven.. When I told her that he died 2 weeks later, she almost started crying and my boss walked in with some work related issue crap and ruined my altar call.. seriously, she is a believer but doesn't have a church or much of a support group.. So I invited her to ours and told her my mom might just have a few encouraging words for a desperate mom w/ problem children.. All that to say Ryan.. your phone call made a pretty big impact on myself and a couple people I work with..

April 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home